Millersburg Borough manages five public parks covering 20 acres. These publicly owned open spaces account for 3.9 percent of the land in the borough. The park season typically runs from early April through late October, depending on the weather. The borough’s public works department maintains the parks for the enjoyment of our citizens and visitors.
Millersburg Borough asks that all park patrons follow the park rules so that everyone can enjoy our shared public spaces.
Millersburg Borough Ordinance 8-11 establishes a 25 foot wide barrier around all athletic fields, pavilions, play equipment, restrooms, and parking lots. Smoking and tobacco use is prohibited within 25 feet of these structures and facilities.
The land bordering the Susquehanna River between Moore Street and the Wiconisco Creek was set aside by Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg, for public use. It is the home of the Historic Millersburg Ferry and a boat launch. The borough constructed a restroom/welcome center and a hiking trail and planted 21 new trees in 2012 using a variety of grant funds. Come and enjoy a stroll down the 2,000 foot trail under the majestic trees.
Located on Church Street, this park features a softball field that is used by the Millersburg Area Girls Softball league. A small plot to the north of the field serves as a bird sanctuary.
In the heart of downtown Millersburg lies a New England style town square, bisected by Market Street/US Route 147. The Eastern side of the park is known as Market Square and features a large gazebo that hosts a number of community events. The first structure was built in 1891 as a bandstand and it has been maintained in the same spot ever since, though it was completely rebuilt in 1998. In the center median lies a fountain, dedicated to the memory of Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg. The fountain was built in 1907 during the town’s centennial celebration. The flag pole was donated by the American Legion Post 326 in the 1920s to honor World War I Veterans. The western side of the park is Veterans Park. It features a statue dedicated to local Civil War veterans, a monument dedicated to veterans of all wars and a Civil War era cannon that was obtained by a local businessman in 1897. The park also features a Christmas tree that serves as the center of the community’s annual Christmas light display. The local Girl Scouts provided a free “Little Library” in Market Square Park.
MYO Park is the most rustic of the Borough Parks. The grounds were once home to the Wiconisco Canal, which was part of the Pennsylvania Canal System. The 1889 floods destroyed the canal, though a portion of the canal and the tow path still exists. Some World War I veterans decided to clean up the area and by 1930 the borough purchased the park and annexed the land into the borough. MYO is an acronym for the long defunct Millersburg Youth Organization. In 1927, a wooden “swinging bridge” was constructed, linking MYO Park with Riverfront Park. The 1972 flood destroyed the bridge and a pavilion that was used for meetings, skating and dances. The community raised funds to rebuild the swinging bridge and work on the new structure was completed in 1997. The park also features a play area and a baseball field, which is used by the Teener League and the Millersburg Area High School Baseball team.
The Millersburg Swimming Pool is located between Center and North Streets, across the street from Seal Park. It was built in 1959 using funds from the sesquicentennial (150th year) celebration in 1957 and underwent extensive renovations in 1991. The pool is a popular gathering spot for local youth during the summer. Annual and daily passes are available.
Seal Park was constructed in the 1970s and dedicated to William Seal and his family in 1980. At 9.7 acres, it is the largest park in the Borough’s park system. Located adjacent to the Millersburg Area Middle/High School and the Millersburg Swimming Pool, Seal Park is the main focal point for active recreation for young children. Since 2012, Millersburg Borough has been upgrading the facilities at the park. Seal Park also features a full Little League field for the youth in the community.